The Story of Me: Part 1

My story begins with two sixteen-year-olds ... kids, really, who had no understanding of how the decisions they made could possibly unfold.  And yet, thirty-nine years later those two kids are still together and have watched their own three children grow up and have children of their own.

My parents were young, very young, and lived in a very conservative southeastern Missouri town. Together my parents sat in a local restaurant and made the decision to make the wedding their parents had determined would occur become a marriage they determined would work.  And so on April 2, 1971, Sue Reagan became Mrs. Terry Buster ... I was there, though not showing in their wedding pictures.  :)

On a Sunday morning, six months later, October 3, 1971, I was born at Dunklin County Memorial Hospital in Kennett, Missouri.  The same hospital where my mother had been born 17 years earlier and where both my brothers would also enter the world a few years later.



My paternal grandfather was a pastor and announced to his church - and to the local radio listeners - that he had become a grandfather that very morning.   While I am certain that both sets of my grandparents had much different plans for my parents' lives, it is without any doubt I can say I was a dearly loved baby.

My name is incredibly special ... Teri, after my daddy; Lynne, the feminine version of Lee which is the middle name of both my grandfathers.  What a special gift to be named for these three men ... who, until I met my husband Scott, were the only men who ever really mattered to me.   Each of them a strong person with deep faith that manifested in differing manner.

And so ... my life began ... not in the most ideal manner by most social standards but certainly filled with more love and doting family members than any child could ever imagine.




Linked to:

9 comments:

  1. I fell in love with you the moment I saw you in the hospital that Sunday in October...and wondered several years later as I was carrying my first child if I could possibly love him as much as I loved you. Of course, I could and do, but you hold a very special place in my heart, my lovely niece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story! I'm so glad your parents decided to make it work. Good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Teri Lynne! We share something in common. Well, let me rephrase that. YOUR MOTHER AND I have a couple of things in common. I, too, did things a little out of order. My daughter was born approximately 4 months after my hubs and I were married. And honestly, I am so glad that when my daughter and I look at pictures, I point to my belly and tell her that I shared my special day with two of my three favorite people in the world. Her and her dad. In addition, I share the fact that my husband and I also made the very same decision as your folks did. We have been married five years thus far, and there will be many many more! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so encouraging to hear stories of parents who made a difficult start successful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story! My parents also married very young, but I came years later. Unfortunately their marriage didn't last. But I have brothers and parents that I wouldn't know otherwise, so things have a funny way of working themselves out.

    I posted late today, but it's finally up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all ... heading over to read your posts now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story! There is no wrong or right way to do things, in my opinion. Family is family. I look forward to learning more about you as we go on!
    Daisie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Daisie...it's not the wrong way (getting pregnant and then getting married) just a different way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your work dear Teri!! It never gets old!! I love dear wonderful cousin friend! And, thanks!

    ReplyDelete